What does the Court do about a family-owned business or a spouse who is self-employed?
A family-owned business will typically have to be valued for purposes of an equal property division. The Court will usually require the appointment of an outside agency for this purpose, usually a forensic accountant. A spouse who is self-employed may also be referred to a forensic accountant to determine the cash-flow of the business for support purposes. In most cases, the forensic accountant will be retained to conduct both valuation and cash-flow, and present a report to the Court.

Prev - Back to Frequently Asked Questions - Next